Friday, July 03, 2015

Thoughts on July 4, 2015

Our nation celebrates its birthday tomorrow, July 4. For 239 years we've celebrated our many freedoms. After recent Supreme Court decisions, which I think flouted the Constitution, I started thinking about how many of those freedoms we've lost and how many we're in the process of losing.

We once had the freedom to say what we think. We're now afraid to speak up for fear we'll look stupid, bigoted, or politically incorrect. Whatever happened to, "I disagree with what you said, but I'll defend your right to say it"? I don't want to be offensive, but we've developed such thin skin that almost anything offends someone.

We once had the freedom to do business with whomever we chose. I well remember signs in restaurants that said, "We refuse the right to serve anyone." Now I know some people posted those signs because of racial prejudice and bigotry. Like many others, I believe racial bigotry is immoral, but I still think the owner of a restaurant, or any business for that matter, should be able to refuse to do business with anyone. The owner loses the income because of his/her refusal to accept someone's business while the customer can go down the block to someone willing to take the money. Remember, "No shirt, no shoes, no service"?

We once had the freedom to hold whatever religious convictions we held dear. No longer. The Bible is being reinterpreted and recast in molds never before accepted. Moral values clearly taught in Scripture are being cast as outmoded and old fashioned to the point that all manner of sexual sin is seen as moral. Check out: http://www.christianpost.com/news/new-christian-swingers-dating-site-offers-faithful-couples-chance-to-hookup-102844/. I don't remember how I ran across that site, but you will immediately see what I mean. Want variety in your sexual life though married? Swing...fornicate to your heart's content. It's okay we're told. The same is true of the "gay" lifestyle. Matthew Vines is the new "Joshua" leading us to the "promised land" of gay and lesbian paradise. But don't bother to suggest such practices as these are sinful. Oh, no! If you do you're intolerant, prejudiced, or bigoted.

We once had the freedom to own and carry firearms. We still do, but you know as well as I do that in time the voices calling for gun control will win. Like Charleton Heston, they'll get my rifle when they can pry it out of my cold dead hand.

Piece by piece, law by law, ruling by Supreme Court ruling our freedoms are being taken away. We are no longer vigilant and we are too apt to remain silent. We turn the other cheek and do so all too often. Pray for your leaders. But for crying out loud, it is time to do more than pray. Stand up! Speak up! If you don't you'll soon be told once and for all to "shut up!"

No comments: