Monday, August 27, 2012

A Prayer for Change

But Lord,

    I've always bought brown sugar

    in square boxes

    with grown letters on the box.


 

I saw the plastic bags of sugar in the grocery store yesterday.


 

I could tell by looking that this was a better way.

    The strong, air-tight bags would keep the sugar soft and usable.

But I've always bought brown sugar in boxes.

    And I reached for the box.


 

Now, back at home, I wonder why.


 

Lord, why are we…

    why am I…

    so reluctant to change old ways?

    Some old ways are valid,

    but some need changing.

And I cling to square boxes with unthinking tenacity,

    Just because I've always bought square boxes.


 

That is not reason enough.

Times have changed – and are changing

    so fast it makes my head swim.

I am obligated to face my days intentionally!

    The container that brown sugar comes in is no great thing.

But there are other, weightier matters

    That require rethinking – and perhaps revising.

If I am going to live significantly,

    I must make my big decisions purposefully,

                    Comprehensively.


 

"New occasions teach new duties; Time makes ancient good uncouth.

They must upward still, and onware, who keep abreast of Truth."


 

Forgive my square boxes.


 

        Amen.


 

From Bless this Mess and Other Prayers, by Jo Carr and Imogene Sorley. Taken from Sharpening the Focus of the Church.

No comments: